The chances are, you’ve seen a monster floor-display of the latest mascara from Maybelline at your local drugstore in the past few weeks, and if not—you probably will soon! Maybelline One By One Volum’ Express Mascara is slated for a wide-release next month, and I had the chance to check it out to share my experience with you. Let’s see how well it fares!
One of the key points of difference as with any mascara, is the brush. The One By One brush has about 300 alternating long and short, thin bristles to reach every lash, and is dubbed The Lash Catcher by Maybelline. They spent four years of research and development on this baby, and it works out to be about 3 bristles per lash (based on an average of 100 lashes per eye).
The brush itself is a soft and pliable elastomer, and is tapered on both ends to help reach those pesky corner lashes. Are we liking it so far?
Here’s the deal.
There’s a big difference between dramatic, showgirl, awe-inducing lash volume—and well-defined, clean, voluminous lashes. One By One will deliver the latter. So when we’re talking “one by one” volume, that’s where this mascara succeeds.
What I like…
- It’s a moist formula right out of the tube, but the component inside of the tube wipes off just the right amount from the brush as you remove the wand. I have time to build before it dries and clumps.
- While this comes in a few colors, I tried out the “washable” formula in Very Black. I LOVE Very Black! It’s that glossy blue-black that can be hard to find in mass-retail mascaras. It keeps the glossy look after it’s dry.
- The part of the wand just right before the brush head begins will actually bend too, for increased maneuverability. Bendy wand + pliable brush = more lashes reached. Great contour!
- Very clean and easy separation via the brush/comb, with added lengthening.
What I would change…
- With the washable formula, it seems to flake if you touch your lashes throughout the day. If you’re someone who tends to touch your eyes frequently or have excess moisture around your eye area…this could be a problem. You’ll want to buy the waterproof formula for sure.
I think Maybelline One By One gives beautiful, weightless volume to the lashes. If you’re curious how it compares to The Falsies, you’ll see a huge difference between the two here. (Big difference!) One By One does what it says it will—but we have to remember that it’s not about drama volume, it’s about fullness with separation. Two totally different types of volume! If you’re an original DiorShow kinda girl, this one isn’t going to be for you. If you want to reach as many lashes as possible without clumping, and prefer volume that’s on a medium scale versus XXL, this will be a good one for you to check out!
Washable shades: Very Black, Blackest Black, Brownish Black
Waterproof shades: Very Black, Blackest Black
Availability: January 2011
Suggested retail: $8.15