If you’re not familiar with Poppy King, allow me to introduce you. At the age of 18, Poppy’s quest to find the perfect matte red lipstick changed her life and turned the lipstick world as we knew it on its head. Seeing a gap in the market, she set out to create the perfect formula herself since she couldn’t find ‘the one’. What started as a simple beauty wish over 20 years ago, evolved into an entire lipstick empire—after all, Poppy King is the ‘lipstick queen’! Many years and several shades later, she’s known for great finishes and shades in her own lip color line. Realizing her genius, Boots No7 recently paired up with the makeup mogul, offering a range of affordable, limited-edition lipsticks and complementary lipglosses in seven easy-to-wear shades that you can find at Target stores.
Poppy named each shade in ‘The Magic of Lipstick’ Collection after the different aura or personality she feels the color represents—from nude rose, to dark berry.
- Allure: This soft peachy shade is similar to one’s natural lip color and suitable for women of all ages.
- Confidence: Who doesn’t love a classic nude shade? This hue is an iconic fit for today’s natural beauty.
- Glamour: This flirty pink shade is all about fun. It’s also a perfect option for the woman who finds herself wanting something different from her go-to nude or red lipstick.
- History: Women’s fascination with red lipstick has evolved throughout the decades; this deep red shade captures the perfect “here and now” red hue.
- Intrigue: This subtle pinkish nude is incredibly flattering without being fussy, like the color of natural lips, but bolder and brighter.
- Power: This rose color is designed to be as powerfully stylish as it is pretty. The lipstick is sheer, but is easily buildable to create a bolder lip.
- Seduction: This rich blackberry shade has enough depth to look glamorous at night, but is also appropriate for daytime wear, with a seductive mystique that is as intriguing as it is mysterious.
I’ve been wearing one of the shades, Intrigue in both the lipstick and lipgloss (sometimes layered), and I loved the way my lips felt and looked. (Intrigue is one of those universal rosy shades that slightly mimics the natural color of the lips.) The textures of both products were pretty impressive; the lipstick feels very creamy and smooth, and imparts a slight wash of color that is buildable, while the lipgloss is shiny and buttery without a hint of stickiness. Wear time was pretty normal, both do transfer but not any more or any less than most lip colors. After trying this one shade, I would definitely be interested in wearing the others in the collection, because my lips felt pretty comfortable and hydrated.
At $9.99 a pop, these are close to prestige quality with a more pleasant price tag. Neither product had any discernible flavor or fragrance, which will be welcome to those with sensitive noses.
Bottom Line: Both the lipstick and lipgloss in Intrigue gave me a ‘my lips but better’ look without going over-the-top. They felt hydrating, and Intrigue is the perfect everyday shade for most skin tones.
Price & Availability: $9.99 each, Target and shopbootsUSA.com