It seems like since the economic downturn started a few years ago, most brands affiliated with drugstores and mass retailers decided to step up their game. These new Milani powder eyeshadow singles are further proof that you can get prestige quality at a mass price. The quality bar is consistently being raised for drugstore cosmetics, which is great for us, as they keep trying to outdo themselves.
Available in an array 12 new shades, each Milani Powder Eyeshadow single has a matte or shimmer finish, with pretty great pigment payoff. Here’s the shade breakdown…
- White Lie — matte bright white
- Pitch Black — matte intense black
- Shocking Pink (not pictured) — matte hot pink
- Brown Stone — matte chestnut brown
- French Vanilla — matte vanilla
- Tickled Pink — peachy-pink shimmer
- Purple Shock — iridescent violet shimmer
- Olympian Blue — matte azure blue
- Pearl — medium beige shimmer
- Gold Dust — gold shimmer
- Caramel Brown — medium brown shimmer
- Just Perfect — jungle green shimmer
See more photos, swatches, & details…
White Lie (slightly brighter than it photographed)
Overall, they feel pretty smooth to the touch—but what I couldn’t believe were the mattes. Usually mattes don’t even show up on my skin, let alone a matte white! And the black? The swatch was done with a single swipe from an applicator, and that’s how intense it was! Impressive stuff there, Milani. I haven’t worn all of these on my eyes yet, but I’ve worn Pearl, Caramel Brown, Tickled Pink, and French Vanilla with success.
White Lie, Pitch Black, Brown Stone, French Vanilla, Tickled Pink, Purple Shock
Olympian Blue, Pearl, Gold Dust, Brown Caramel, Just Perfect
While not perfect dupes, I did find some similarities between a few of the Milani shades, and those that I have in my personal stash. Here’s what I found…
- Pearl — Stila Kitten is slightly pinker
- Brown Stone — MAC Brun is a little less red
- Caramel Brown — Urban Decay Suspect is more taupe
- Just Perfect — MAC Steamy is a touch more blue
- French Vanilla — MAC Brule is pretty close
Do you see any possible dupes? Leave a comment!
I think some of these shades rival the quality of those of more expensive competitors. Try not to miss shades Pearl, Just Perfect, Caramel Brown, and Tickled Pink. And don’t leave out Pitch Black! It is one of the most intense black powder eyeshadows I’ve ever tried in a single swipe, and will be great for lining.
Price & Availability…
$5.99 each, drugstores & milanicosmetics.com (Drugstores often have sales!)