On one of my three trips to Costco last week, I couldn’t leave without this—the Jenna Hipp What’s Hot Now Nail Collection. I’ve never loved and hated a place so much in my life! They’re doing these cool collaborations with beauty industry pros, like Pati Dubroff, Orlando Pita, and in this case—celeb manicurist Jenna Hipp. I hope to try the others soon, but I had to share this one with you.
With shades like these for just $14.99, you know it was leaving with me. Unfortunately, that excitement was short-lived.
- 12 – 0.16 fl. oz. Mini Nail Lacquer Bottles
- Nail File
Damage Control, Hashtag, Tweet Me, Freshmaker
Here’s what I encountered:
- Several of the shades required three coats. I get that this is going to happen from time to time, especially with pastels—it’s just the name of the game. But these were even streaky after three coats.
- With Hollywood Reporter (one of the glitters), some pieces of the glitter curled up instead of laying flat. I’m guessing it’s not particularly solvent resistant glitter, but I can’t be 100% sure.
- Awards Season is super brush-stroke prone.
- There were a few redeeming shades: Look Hot Feel Cool, Editor’s Pick, Room Service, and Private Getaway. These formulas were decent, but not enough to justify a $14.99 price tag for four minis.
It’s a pity, because this collection has everything going for it—cool bottles, great colors, and cute shade names at a sweet price for prestige product. Sadly, something was lost in the execution along the way. I am so bummed! Oh well, can’t win them all. I’m sorry, Jenna!
Awards Season, Editor’s Pick, Hollywood Reporter, After Party
Room Service, Private Getaway, Look Hot Feel Good, I Can Afford It
All shades with two coats (except where noted), and Seche Vite top coat.
Damage Control — soft pink creme (3 coats)
Hashtag — pastel peach creme (3 coats)
Tweet Me — banana creme (3 coats)
Freshmaker — mint creme (3 coats)
Awards Season — yellow-gold metallic
Editor’s Pick — black with khaki and gold shimmer
Hollywood Reporter — holographic glitter (shown with Look Hot Feel Good)
After Party — pink glitter in transparent base (shown with Freshmaker)
Room Service — coral-red jelly
Private Getaway — poppy red jelly
Look Hot Feel Good — teal shimmer
I Can Afford It — dark purple shimmer
I’m so bummed, because this collection had crazy potential! I just didn’t feel the quality was there.
Price & Availability…